Basically it’s a countermeasure to an assault on one’s person; an act of protecting oneself. Self-defense isn’t limited to personal security; it could include your family, property, family members etc..
Using bodily force to counter a personal attack or an attack of violence could be categorized in two ways – armed and unarmed. The odds of warding off an attack is dependent upon a number of things, but is largely linked to the extent of seriousness of this assault and the mental ability and physical ability of the man warding off the attack.
There are a wide assortment of self defense methods – both armed and unarmed. While the armed category clearly uses firearms and weapons as protective steps and requires the individual using such arms to possess the abilities and be in conformity with legal regulations, the unarmed class is the most frequently used form of self defense. Techniques and practices of battle are codified by customs and systems and are practiced for many reasons which range from competition, entertainment, fitness and wellness, physical growth, self defense and religious development.
Experts opine that although there are many types of combat and self defense practices, fundamental techniques are essential for every person to protect themselves as a matter of business right.
1. Do not attempt anything striking; it means that don’t replicate movie stunts or techniques which come from hours of practice and devotion, unless you’ve had some quantity of training in a particular technique.
2. The aim isn’t to win. Rather it is to get time to discover an escape manner or draw attention of others around so that the competition is outnumbered.
3. If your attacker is armed, rather lose your wallet and credit cards, wrist watch or jewellery than put up a struggle and be shot or stabbed, seriously putting yourself at immense risk, unless of course you’re a seasoned practitioner in disabling an armed attacker. It is far easier to eliminate some personal effects which may be replaced.
4. Keeping your composure is easier said than done, but you’d be smart not to forget that not being fearful is half the work done. You too have the capability to hurt when cornered.
5. Don’t stand still or give up. Any quantity of resistance is far better than no resistance whatsoever and if you show some spirit, you don’t know, it may place the attacker off guard a little, which will be to your advantage.
6. Use whatever you’ve got in hand, handbag, keychain or some other implement that may inflict some damage. Experts advise girls, when faced with an attacker, to attack the groin with a hard push of the knee when placing the force of your hands under the attacker’s chin. It’s a tried and proven self defense method to permit time to run or shout for support.
7. Make the first attack. That will certainly disable the attacker since it’s least expected. Attackers plan on hitting and being struck makes him want to shield himself, something contrary to his character.
8. Close the space quickly. The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu technique directs you to bridge the gap immediately and literally be inside nose space.
9. In case you have some expertise in boxing or wrestling, excursion your attacker and toss him into the floor. Throwing sand or sand in the attacker’s face is a great tactic to disable him for a couple of minutes giving you enough time to break free from the scene.
10. Keep up your hands like a ring fighter. If your attacker attempts to punch you, your palms will decrease the force or stop the blows from landing on the nose or face and causing injuries.
A few of them have been immortalized through full scale feature films for posterity.